Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chitange suits

Before we moved, I (Sophie) asked Ba Yvonne (Halfer's house worker) to make outfits for Becky and me. I bought the material at the market and told her what style we wanted. Zambians don't typically use patterns to sew. They are able to cut out the pieces just by seeing another outfit, a picture or drafting their own design. It takes real skill to get it right. When I sew, I am pinned to a pattern and an instruction sheet. I may have the ability to sew, but I definitely don't have the skill the Zambians do. This picture was taken after a morning at church, so Becky's suit looks a bit rumpled. We both enjoy our Zambian clothes. These are "dressy" outfits. Worn for church and special occasions.




For everyday clothes, ladies wear a shirt and a chitange skirt, which is simply a length of material wrapped around and tucked in at the waist. Often they will have a "normal" skirt on and have a chitange on over it to keep it clean. The chitange is also used to tie babies (or other loads) onto the back.

No comments: