Sunday, August 31, 2008

Workshop for Faith Baptist Church School


On August 27th I had the privilege of presenting a workshop for the teachers at the day school of the church we attend here in Kitwe, Zambia. My topic was "Using everyday objects in your math and science classrooms." I demonstrated the use of popcorn as manipulatives for math. My main focus was using common objects in science demonstrations. We had fun doing a variety of activities together.


One of my favorites was displaying the white roses that I colored simply by placing them overnight in water with food coloring. I used yellow, red and blue. I split the stems of several of the roses and placed them in two separate colors. The results were an interesting display of water movement through a plant. Another missionary family did a very similar experiment with daisies and colored water at the same time without either one of us knowing about the other's experience. I guess it was just time for coloring flowers. The instructions I was using said to use carnations, but they are hard to find here. Roses are everywhere. I bought these roses just down the road from our house. In a field there is a container that has a door and a window cut into it to make a "store." At this location they sell yard ornaments, rake-brooms, roses and other items. The price was under $6 for about 20 roses. Not a bad price. Why 20 roses? They don't sell anything by the dozen in Zambia.





No comments: